Digital Photography & Imaging: Practical-Recoloring Black & White (WEEK 6)

31/10/2023 - (Week 6) 

Aisya Diva Anwagodsa (0365505)

Digital Photography and Imaging / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media

Digital Exercise 02: Practical-Recoloring Black & White


JUMPLINK


LECTURES



On week 5 the lecture is about Recoloring Black & White photos, Mr. Fauzi provided the materials and the lecture for us on google classroom.  In these lectures, there are 2 ways to coloring black & white pictures, using brush or clipping mask.  There are 2 photos for this exercise.

🔝

INSTRUCTION


PRACTICAL RECOLORING BLACK AND WHITE

Fig. 1.1 Turn B&W photo into COLOUR photo
(5/11/2023)

Fig. 1.2 Turn B&W photo into COLOUR photo process
(5/11/2023)

Fig. 1.3 Contour 
(5/11/2023)

In here, I followed the Instruction, but I feel like the skin is too pale, so I tried to do some contour with darker color
.  Here are the main tools I used:
- Brush: For coloring the object.
- Overlay: To make the skin blend with the picture.

First Attempt:

Fig. 1.4 Recoloring B&W photo
Advanced level 
(5/11/2023)


Fig. 1.5 Recoloring B&W photo
Advanced level Process
(5/11/2023)

For the second image, I also followed the tutorial provided.  The tutorial for this exercise using a different way to recoloring a picture, it is used a lot of masking rather than brush:
- Eyedropper: To choosing color based on a picture/color palette.
- Brush: to create the color sample and coloring detailed parts.
- Quick Selection Tool: To refine the image.
- Solid Layer: To coloring the object.

In here, I feel like I did not like the result.  So I decided to redo the second image, and combining both way of recoloring.

Fig. 1.6 Second attempt
(13/11/2023)

Fig. 1.7 Second attempt
(13/11/2023)

Fig. 1.8 Second attempt
(13/11/2023)

From fig to fig I used the same way as the first attempt to coloring the image.  But I decided to add a little bit of a make up touch.  Here I put contour, brush, eyeliner and freckless  on her face with brush.

Fig. 1.9 Second attempt
(13/11/2023)

Fig. 1.10 Second attempt
(13/11/2023)

While from fig 1.9 to fig 1.10, I also use the same method with brush to create the leopard pattern on the clothes.  I used two different shades of brown and black to create the pattern.

FINAL RESULT

Fig. 2.1 Final Result
(5/11/2023)

Fig. 2.2 Final Result
(13/11/2023)


REFLECTION

Experience:
I was enjoying doing this task, this reminds me of coloring when I was a kid, but this is way more advance.  This taught me how to use layer mask, even though I'm a bit confuse with how it worked, but happy with my result.

Observation:
This particular task need a patient and detail, because we have to pay attention to some small part that we want to recolor.  However, task does not as hard as it seems.

Findings:
In this task, we can express ourself and exploring color also fashion.  We can do some modification to the object and make it looks stunning.


QUICK LINKS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography - Task 1 : Exercise 1 & 2

Typography Task 3: Type Design & Communication

Advanced Typography - Task 1: Typographic System - Type & Play